[Harp-L] Re: the amazing VHT Special 6 amp

I got one (Thanks Mike) and agree with most of the good reviews. It has a pull/volume knob which activates an additional gain stage. The push/pull switch also can be used with a foot pedal. I don't remember the tweed champ having THAT! Also has diodes instead of the GZ3Y or 5AR4.

Having not completely removed the eyelet board to draw out a schematic yet, I suppose the additional gain stage might be coming from the second half of the 12A*7. Or a germanium transistor somewhere? I did remove the chassis for a quick inspection.

Also, swapping tubes for American Vintage 6V6GT & 12A*7's is an adventure into warm creamy tones that boutique amp makers strive to achieve. That russian 12AX7 is kinda harsh! (Good for guitar)

Currently running a metal 6V6GT from an old 1959 Cadillac car radio and aWWII US Navy JAN 12AU7.

This amp absolutely LOVES the Shure 545SD. Not too shabby either with vintage hot bullets, but there must be some kind of DNA match with the 545. I can dime the Special 6 with the high-gain stage on and it just honks like a cool horn. This is definitely the mic for this amp.

On my list of things to do: Create and install a line-out with adjustable line level pot. It's really not loud enough to stand alone with a bunch of guitar stacks on stage =8^D.

I repeat, "Thanks, Mike!"

Splash!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Davis"

I invite you to give thanks also for the VHT Special 6 amp. It is
truly remarkable.

Essentially, it is a blackface Fender Champ with a 10-inch speaker for
$200. It is beautifully hand wired point-to-point on an eyelet board with
good quality components. Right out of the box it sounds GREAT for blues
harp. Seriously, you would expect an amp with these features and this tone
to cost closer to $800.

The 6V6 power tube gives a warm crunchy tone that just can't be matched by
the EL84 tubes in other low-priced tube amps.  As soon as you plug in your
mic and blow though this amp you recognize it is something special.  There
is a slight tearing on the leading edge off the notes, with nice
overtones in the body of the notes.  The amp responds well to the pressure
you put on the mic.  It just has a natural relaxed blues harp tone I have
never found in modern low-priced amps meant for guitar players.

At the Blues Harp Amps blog I have photos and videos, and descriptions of
the mods I've made to the amp to improve it's tone. Mike Fugazzi has been
enthusiastic about this amp and he is exactly right! It is an amazing amp,
and an amazing value. It should be at the very top of your Christmas list.

Happy Holidays!

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog