Re: [Harp-L] Re: the amazing VHT Special 6 amp

This is from an
interview<http://www.frugalguitarist.com/Frugal.aspx?Issue=19&Page=Terry%20Buddingh%20Interview>with
Terry Buddingh, the designer of the VHT Special 6:

While it had to be as minimal as possible, it also had to have some unique
> features to set it apart from the pack. So I designed a unique preamp
> circuit using a classic tone stack, but with resistors in place of pots, and
> combined this circuit with a single-pot tone circuit that’s essentially in
> parallel with the Volume control, and thusly isolated from the tone stack.
> The trick is the fixed tone stack can be defeated/bypassed with a footswitch
> (or the push/pot switch on the Volume pot), while the separate Tone control
> remains functional.

So, apparently the "Boost" switch doesn't actually add any gain; rather, it
increases *apparent* gain by removing the passive bass-mid-treble control
stack from the circuit. Clever.

Also some interesting stuff in the interview about how you can tune the tone
stack to taste by swapping resistors.

Arthur Jennings
http://www.timeistight.com