Re: [Harp-L] Re: the amazing VHT Special 6 amp

Splash-

I agree...  Great little amp!

A couple of things:

The Pull Boost doesn't activate an additional gain stage.  It lifts the
ground on some components in the tone stack, thereby increasing apparent
gain.

The harshness you heard in the amp may not have been from the 12AX7 tube.  I
heard the same reedy harshness, and in my case it was cured by a change in
the cathode bybass cap.  Running a low-gain tube like the 12AU7 may mask the
hashness, but it will be at the expense of much of the amp's gain.  With a
6-watt Class A amp you don't have a lot of power to waste, and a 12AU7 tube
has a different impedance than the tube you replaced, which affects
components downstream of the tube.

You're absolutely right about the line out.  The amp is not loud enough for
most gigs, and would get buried at your average blues jam.  But the tone is
glorious, so a line out is a must.  There is room on the back of the chassis
for the line out jack and a LO Level pot (both standard features on the
Mission Chicago 32-20 amp, btw).  Or, you could use the 4-ohm speaker tap as
the line out, it the amp owner does not anticipate the need to drive a 4-ohm
cab.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog