[Harp-L] singing ability

 John wrote:
My question is this: is the ability to play by ear a natural talent that you either have or you don't, or can the ability be learned, and if so, how?

 According to what I was told 30 years ago by the testing center when I underwent some aptitude evaluations, musical ability is an aptitude.  Aptitude, by definition, means a natural ability which you are born with.  Although one could say either you have it or you don't, there are degrees of ability and one's abilities can be honed or improved upon.  Another statement they made was that at the foundation of the ability to enjoy music was the ability to recognize a tune.
ron