Re: [Harp-L] Am I Alone???

Michael D'Aurizio wrote:
<I practice at home, or in my truck at work. I come up with a lot of great
<licks. They are innovative (for me), musically advanced (for me), and I
<really get excited about layin down these great new riffs at the next gig.
<The next gig comes, and all I do is play the same old tired licks over and
<over again. I can't seem to get creative enough on stage to trust my skills,
<and let the " new and improved" chops flow. Once in a GREAT while the
<planets will be aligned just right, and the magic will happen, and the riffs
<will just flow from my instrument. I will leave that gig thinkin " Yeah
<baby, I'm on to the next level!!" Then the next gig same old sh#*!!! Am I
<alone with this??? Will I ever be able to catch "That Magic" more than once
<in a while?? I sure hope so!

You're not alone.

When you practice, do you record yourself?  The more you practice your great ideas, the more they become part of your everyday working vocabulary.

I recommend that you get a copy of kenny werner's "Effortless mastery" and read what he says about opening up and trusting your ideas.  he gives a LOT of practical advice on how to make it happen, too.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick