Re: [Harp-L] RE: Authentic Pronunciation

On Sep 30, 2010, at 10:09 PM, Splash! wrote:

I tend to be chameleon without realizing it. When I go back to my native Pgh., I get my accent back. The longer I stay before coming back to So. Fla. the heavier it gets and the longer it takes to lose (most of) it.

Same here. Pittsburghese is hard to shake. But since I lived my first 18 years about evenly split between NY. and Italy, my accent is not typical of Bloomfield. Most people think I sound more like Chicago.

I've been a southerner by choice for 5 decades and when hanging with my hunting buddies, the southerner in my voice gets stronger. It's not something that I am even aware of till I get back to civilization.

Only having been in Fla. for 13 years, I don't sound like a cracker at all.
smo-joe

It's not fake. It's just me.

Splash!