From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, October 1, 2010 11:28:38 AM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Best harmonica tuning to play "tunes and songs"

Steve Shaw wrote:

>I'm aware of the shrill feel of Lee Oskars when I'm playing, but have found
>>that this doesn't come through at all when I listen back to recordings of
>>myself.

I don't find Oskars to be shrill.  All of the solo pieces for sale that you hear
on my website at http://www.hunterharp.com/all-hunters-downloads-in-one-place/
were recorded on Lee Oskar harmonicas (except for The Star Spangled Banner).  I
think those pieces sound pretty warm.  You can hear a wider range of my solo
pieces at:

http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/RichardHunter
and almost all of them were recorded on Oskars.  Again, I think the basic sound
of the harp (which is all you hear on those recordings, a little reverb aside)
is very nice--I doubt that any listener would describe those tones as shrill.

I agree that Oskars don't overblow as readily as some other makes. I find that
the main issue isn't getting the overblow, but sustaining it; it's when I hold
an overblown note on the Oskar that I hear the high-pitched overtones come
through. Given that a lot of players don't overblow at all, that's not
necessarily a problem for many people.  It's not usually a problem for me
because I mostly use overblown notes for passing tones.  If I need a note that's
not on the instrument and critical to the piece, I'll probably use a different
tuning instead.

I make a point of buying harmonicas from every manufacturer out there, and I
haven't yet discovered an off the shelf instrument that satisfies my every
desire.  I do enjoy playing the Oskars as much as I enjoy playing any other
make, and where non-standard tunings are concerned they're very convenient. I
can get most of the special tunings I use (Paddy Richter, natural minor, dorian
minor, country, melody maker, etc.) easily from Oskar off-the-shelf or by
combing reed plates from different tunings, in most cases without having to tune
more than one reed, if that. And of course, as per comments by others on this
list, the generally even response and reliability of Oskars is a real plus. In
the last few years I've bought dozens of harps from almost every manufacturer,
ranging in price from less than $20 to $80, and the Oskars outlast them all.

I've generally avoided buying customized instruments to this point, but I
suppose that sooner or later I'll throw down the money to some customizer, just
to see whether I get the perfect instrument in return. You know, an instrument
that lets me play as loud as ZZ Top (without an amp) and as fast as Yngwie
Malmsteen, with no possibility of reeds jamming, breaking, or going out of tune,
forever.  I'd pay plenty for that instrument.  Especially if I could also make
it assume any tuning desired instantly.  And have it drive my car for me while I
practice.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter