Re: [Harp-L] Tremelo/Octave Harmonica

Tremello has twin reeds tuned just a hair apart. Octave tunes is just what it sounds like twin reeds and octave apart.
smo-joe

On Oct 1, 2010, at 3:36 PM, Hellerman, Steven wrote:

Funny how the world can work. Maybe two weeks ago I posted about wanting to get my harp to sound like an accordian for one of the bands I play with, presumably using an effects pedal through my amp. Got lots of good advice from some of the great players here (yes, I'm going to buy that micro pog any day now), including some who suggested that instead of focusing on effects, I learn to play tremolo.

Lo and behold, yesterday one of my students (I teach Pol. Sci., not music, btw; can't even read music, never will) presented me w/ a vintage Hering Sonhadora (made in Brazil) in the key of C that he had bought for five bucks at a garage sale, now sold to me for same. I presumed it was a tremolo, but a little research shows that it's an octave harmonica. What's the difference? Is this a good place to start? Thanks in advance.

SLH http://www.myspace.com/professorsteve

PS: Thanks to one and all for adding me to your facebook friends. Yes, it's true: I am a facebook slut! Ha ha.