Re: [Harp-L] Bands are too expensive?

It has always been hard for bands with harmonica players to get work.Or for
 ANY bands to get work, for that matter.
When I started as a "pro" musician, back in the 60's, my band got paid
about the same money per gig, as a middle level "executive" in business,  would
make at work, per week.
30 years later,  in 1997, I had a GREAT six piece blues band  based in
London England. I'm not bragging, It was simply WORLD CLASS!  Our minimum fee
back then was only £300 per gig. That was just  £50 per musician, I didn't get
any extra as the "MD". Allowing for inflation,  the money was VERY much
less than my bands were paid back in the 1960s.
Most of our venues ... Pubs in the London area, during the 1990s,  simply
had a maximum budget of only £150.  They could not afford  to pay any more
than that.
They would pay just £150, as a  MAXIMUM !  For a  DJ,  for Karaoke, for a
"one man band", or for a 50 piece orchestra. Or  even for a sports event
broadcast on satellite TV!
So what did I do? I started working as a duo, with a keyboard player.  £75
each isn't "riches beyond the dreams of avarice" but it is...  BARELY... A
living.
Jason Ricci said, relating to being a "pro".... "Learn to eat  ramen"...
Jason is certainly a wonderful entertainer and harp player... And can  only
afford to eat noodles?
In desperation my fantastic sax player Ricardo Guerrero, started  working
restaurants with backing tracks, on his own!
The only gigs that mostly DO still pay "good money", are weddings. And
most weddings simply want "cover" bands playing music to dance to!  Rarely
blues bands...
Over the past few years, pub venues have been closing down in  England, in
their THOUSANDS... So there are fewer and fewer places for blues  bands to
work in.
These days some venues even take a fee from the BAND just to play at  their
"prestige venue". That certainly is the case at some of the clubs  in
London's west end.
In my opinion, that is a disgrace!
It's called:  "Pay to Play".

But, such is life!