  From: Warren Bee
  To: Harp L Harp L
  Sent: Monday, October 04, 2010 8:21 AM
  Subject: [Harp-L] re: needs some help

  Richard Hunter makes some very valid observations. I respect him as a player
  and his opinions. I just have a few few thoughts.

  1) "Customers" is a great word to throw around especially when discussing
  whose rights are more valid. I find my self never looking at the attendees
  of a harmonica festival as customers. In my mind they are PARTICIPANTS. They
  themselves are part of the event. Every one of them no matter their playing
  level.

  2) When folks like Richard "give back" as they say there is always a
  "return" motive. Human nature. My guess is that Richard gives plenty with
  much thought on the returns. Students, notoriety, product sales etc. At SPAH
  our return is $45. for a years membership and a hope that they may come
  again to participate and carry on a half-century tradition.

  3) I am excited to try and be the first one to purchse a ticket to the well
  organized and professionally publicized Richard Hunter Harmonica Festival
  when it appears on the calendar. I love being a demanding customer. I will
  expect the best bang for my buck possible.NO exceptions. I also hope he
  doesn't loose his shirt. Driving well over 400+ attendees at an event with a
  much heaftier price tag might be a challenge. The advertising budget will
  not be small to pull off and "make the numbers".

  4) Richard brings up one of the most important points in this discussion.
  THE FUTURE OF HARMONICA EVENTS. My guess is that if folks like Richard
  succeed in creating a bigger, better festival with all of the bells and
  whistles that there will be an instant "nostalgia" for the good old days by
  many. Integrating Big pop stars and larger crowds into the "established
  tradition" will bring on a whole new set of issues that the paying customers
  will have to deal with and perhaps complain about, like: a) it's too noisy
  in the halls to talk and jam like the old days. b) these big stars are fun
  but their "enterages" and security combined with many non harp playing fans
  just  makes things a little less "rewarding to the soul" like the old days.
  c) the big stars come and go fast, how come they don't hang and jam with us
  like the "real superstars" used to do? d) darn, I had to sit 50 rows back to
  see Stevie Wonder last night, I kinda like being in the first 20 rows of an
  intimate venue and being able to meet the star right away as he/she comes
  off stage.

  5) APPLES & ORANGES time again. We already have the harmonica apple
  orchards. Create a harmonica orange grove with a different brand and flavor.
  These fruits don't have to compete for the taste buds of the public. Choice!
  Thinking that the new and improved oranges will make apples obsolete is not
  reality.

  Once again. Respect to Richard. My passion is high this morning and I like
  the fact that we are all participating in a discussion about these issues
  and concerns.

  WB