Re: [Harp-L] re: needs some help

Warren Bee wrote:
<Richard Hunter makes some very valid observations. I respect him as a player
<and his opinions. I just have a few few thoughts.

Should have stopped there, Warren, with a thank-you for the free ideas.

<1) "Customers" is a great word to throw around especially when discussing
<whose rights are more valid. I find my self never looking at the attendees
<of a harmonica festival as customers. In my mind they are PARTICIPANTS. They
<themselves are part of the event. Every one of them no matter their playing
<level.

This is circular logic--you're not serving customers, you're attracting participants, and it's up to them to make the show a success.  I don't agree.  Among other things, that eliminates any responsibility SPAH has for actual leadership. Leaders, above all, create change for the better. Nothing has changed at SPAH in a decade or more. If I'm wrong about that, please provide a list of the innovations in the last ten years.  I'd like to see it.

<2) When folks like Richard "give back" as they say there is always a
<"return" motive. Human nature. My guess is that Richard gives plenty with
<much thought on the returns. Students, notoriety, product sales etc. At SPAH
<our return is $45. for a years membership and a hope that they may come
<again to participate and carry on a half-century tradition.

I'll leave aside for the moment the question of what "folks like Richard" might mean. I will also leave aside the question of why you chose to put "give back" in quotes, as if the time and effort I've put into supporting harmonica players at all levels, from pros to novices, for the last 30-plus years is some kind of scam. Your insult is gratuitous and entirely unmerited, to put it mildly, but I'll leave it aside.  The only reason I can see for questioning my motives is to divert the attention of the reader from the point of my post: harmonica festivals ought to be better.

And the entire point of your post, really, is that you have no intention of changing what you're doing. And anybody who suggests otherwise is only trying to enrich themselves. Or they don't have the right attitude, because they'd like to know what they're going to get for the hard-earned money they give you. Right?

That's apparently fine for 400 people worldwide, most of whom are now well into their 40s and 50s, if not older.  If something doesn't change pretty soon, that "half-century tradition" is in danger of dying out. Literally. What are you going to do when that happens--blame the "participants"?

Thanks, RH

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick