Re: [Harp-L] re: needs some help

As I sit here and read all these wonderful contributions, I am tempted to walk backwards in my mind (not an easy task for a 'brain hoarder') and reminisce.

I suppose my return to the harmonica scene (after about a 30 year lull) came in 1991 after meeting Herb Eck at an interchange and I and Mama Cass (the live one) drove him and his wife Leona to the Youngstown Ohio Steel Valley harmonica club picnic to which Herb had invited us. There we met Judy & Al Smith, big George Miklas and several other great players. I was hooked.

I only had 22 years at my job and not enough seniority to get the first week in Sept off to go to spah, but a friend wanted one of my vacation weeks to go bow hunting and I gladly switched. I went to my first spah in 91 at Detroit. I went on blind faith. Herb said "You'll love it". I did.

So, I think this is what drives this whole thing. I went to my first fest strictly on word of mouth. That's pretty much the way it was back then. Unfortunately as the mouths die off, the word gets lost, and we are left with people who have never been to a fest, might like to GO to a fest. But never DO get the word. Because there are no mouths to give it. I (personally) am always spreading the word. I try to make players SEE the light. I try to make believers out of them.

So, eventually I retired (young) end of 1996, moved to Florida,and am in the enviable position that even though my pension is 60% of what I used to make, I have far less expenses, and even though it is always quite pricey for me, I manage to schedule in these fests as best I can. Ergo: I have been to 16 of the last 19 spahs, 11 Buckeyes, and 6 other fests. (3 Garden state, 2 Virginia, 1 Birmingham).

I certainly can understand the queries of various members and I (myself) have felt some frustration from time to time and wish that there were a little more info, and I sure wasn't dissing or capping on anyone, BUT I see the whole enchilada as a huge adventure and am always amused in some fashion or other. Like for instance the vast assortment of attendees. You have the people who are what I like to call 'above par' and 'below par'.

Using the average person as a neutral point, some people have a personality that is so bubbly and outgoing that they are like a person on 1 stimulant. Then there are those that are so cool and laid back that they seem like someone on 1 nerve relaxant. Of course there are also people who are TWO above par, but (chuckle) I won't go into that. I find it fascinating. The aura in the air. The excitement. It's the people. God I so love it. It's what keeps bringing me back.

As it so happens I was invited to participate in the Suncoast Jazz fest (aka dixieland). where one of the events will be the jams run by my friend Dr. Jim Gover ( also a spah member). Unfortunately it came in after I had already planned for the New Jersey fest. Now when it comes to pros, and the possibility of big money being involved, sometimes they have to make a scheduling change for financial reasons. This is why it isn't always possible to 'nail down' whom is going to DEFINITELY be able to perform at a fest. It's just a fact of life.

The last day of Feb I leave on a 14 day cruise. So far it doesn't look as if it will conflict with my plans to play at the Virginia fest. But you never know. As far as me being somewhere, that doesn't matter, But if you get REAL stars (and I hesitate to mention names because there are so many great talents right here on this list), to come to a fest, you are sure to enjoy it.

Having had a paltry only 2 years of something called 'bs' (business systems), I can well relate to what the great king Richard the lion harper is saying. As an anal control freak who spends every waking second of his life planning and scheming every facet of his life, I am almost a maniacal planner. I always have at least 6 to 7 different paths to my handling of the same situations. Works for me.

smokey joe