Re: [Harp-L] Bands are too expensive?

Arrhaa.."Ditto" ...If you want to make a living as a 'middle aged muso' one really has to 'think outside the box' with related products, and be grateful for 'live' gigs [who pay in cash].We rarely play 'bars' over here in my recent experience.Weddings, Parties,Conventions, Organic markets, Art Galleries.. anything. As for money an average fee for me, personally [with P.A. and lighting] is around $200 [in duo]. I can't push it more than that $350 to $500 as a duo [and believe it, we work long for our money].A general show equals rehearsals, travel equiptment, setup's, 4 hour shows; about 12 hours per gig. I also provide most requested 'covers' on mini disc between sets with disco lighting [if it's top dollar].If I need to add musicians for larger or to create a more swinging gig, I add $100-150 per player.
The age of MTV and the increasing reach of young banal Disney pop 'Superstars' has all but ended 'live' music as it was known.However, I think as long as one 'really has the skills to fully entertain' and people like the music, there is lot's of  'live' work available.That's pretty much as it's always been in blues. The fact is if anyone expects to make dollars from playing 'the blues' they are day dreaming. I think this particular genre simply is 'the crop of poverty'.That seems to be what I experienced in Memphis after speaking with top 'old school' R&B musicians and 'real' living blues guys like Robert Kimbrough or Dwayne Burnside, still bangin' away in Jukes and local events.