[Harp-L] Doers v. Moaners

My son had an instructive experience a few years ago at a meeting called to
organise a local community event.
The chairman of the meeting was a local active politician and very much a
"doer" (unfortunately he has since died).
During the meeting the "doer" was doing his best to whip up enthusiasm and
action for the upcoming event.
Every once in a while a persistent voice came from the audience "I think we
should have a boxing tournament as part of the programme" The chairman chose
to ignore these interjections for quite a while, but when the "ideas man"
finally got through to him, he at last turned to him and said "OK you
organise the boxing tournament!"
The response? "Sure what would I know about organising a boxing tournament?"
It was "Game Set and Match" to the chairman.
Everyone who has tried to organise anything from a Tennis Club hop to a
Harmonica Fest knows that these things only happen because a few "doers"
volunteer to do all the hard work and the beneficiaries of their activities
feel free to second guess them and moan - without ever lifting a finger to
help.
The above strategy might be useful to the hard pressed organisers of future
"Harmonica Blowouts"
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana