Subject: [Harp-L] Seminar

Hey Gary:

Looking forward to meeting you finally, in person. Your seminar should be a
 good fit at GSHC. I'll also enjoy actually getting to see one of your Amps
'in  the flesh' so to speak.

I very much appreciate your sending me your CD some  time ago.  Am looking
forward to finally seeing/hearing you in person  at our Festival. However,
although I hope the timing will work out for  me to attend your Seminar, I'm
not a diatonic Blues player, nor am I at a  level to learn Sonny Terry's
style. There may be quite a few other folks who  attend who also don't actually
play but will be interested in sitting in...which  is standard for
harmonica conventions.

Remember, the list Val will be posting is still a work in progress and  is
subject to change (there were changes still being made (and discussed) as of
 last night's club meeting).

Elizabeth

"Message: 1
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 16:00:29 EDT
From:  SONNYTONE@xxxxxxx
To:  harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Val will be posting the list within the next few days.  I can say for sure
on Saturday I will be from 10:00 - 11:30, with  Dennis G. from 11:30 -
12:30,
then Rob Paparozzi and much more. I will be  staying the day so please feel
free  approach me about any subject. As  I am preparing certain songs,
signature licks  and basics, I would  appreciate your input now on what You
want
to get from this  seminar.  Anyone who wishes to attend, perhaps bring an A
and a C harp. I have   transcribed ( the hard way ) and taken licks from
the
Whoopin CD with  Johnny  Winter, with much of the basic licks being heard
in
many of his  works..

Basics: How he formed notes, all diaphragm, no throat.
Sonny's Trill. No warble
Flutters: Rapidly pulling your tongue on and off  the harp
Hand effects. Wah Way, fanning the harp, hand smacks ( pucky pucky,
popping
the harp )
Throat pops. ga ga ga  while using  hands.
Whoops and Hollers.
More...

These are the songs I chose, one  is from the CD, Whoopin the Doop ( Hooray

Hooray ) complete with ride  section transcribed and main phrasing.
Learning
to  sing and play..
Sonny's opening song to his shows: Worried Man Long Way from Home with
whoops.
The song Sonny and I did as a duet, Mean Woman Blues.

So  email away. I want you to take nuggets of phrases he used commonly, one

being of course the opening line he did to 50% of his songs.

Then a  little fun with the Cruncher or Avenger, please email me and let me

know which one to bring. I will be driving from New Haven at 7:00, hope my
mouth  works by 10:)

I really would appreciate your input. This  is how I continue to grow with
putting these on, and it is for free, I  am hoping to see many of my Sonny
Jr
owners to thank them and see them in  person. I am going to have a SONNY JR
shirt  on, just say  hey....

Hooray Hooray this woman is killing me.  Transcribed
Worried Man Long Way from Home - Exactly as Sonny did it, with  the  whoops.
Mean Woman Blues, which I will take extremely slow.