Subject: [Harp-L] Chromatic Repairs

I'd personally never suggest anyone 'have to' do chromatic repairs
themselves .....only that if one is going to continue to play, it's a  good idea to
eventually become reasonably familiar with the innards of their
instrument....meaning learning how to take off the cover plates
(carefully)...hopefully with a chart of some kind in front of you from one of  the expert's sites
(such as Pat Missin) - in order to keep your instrument  clean inside so
you can diagnose just what a problem is when something does go  wrong.

Sometimes all it takes is removing a stray cat or dog hair carefully (in my
 case, lol) or piece of lint (caught under a reed) ...to get you back on
track...

 Even replacing a windsaver is fraught with much 'stress' for some of  us.
It took me ages to manage that step, but I'd long been cleaning and
maintaining my chromatics and straightening out damaged and curled windsavers
before I finally took the initiative of completely dismantling a Cx-12  (reed
plates off) and replacing an interior windsaver. That was absolutely
nervewracking and took a lot of finesse...so I completely understand your
reluctance. It is NOT for everyone. I haven't yet progressed to reed replacement  or
tuning, something many people do without a qualm. Might never. It  intrigues
me, but I'm not ready.

 I'd also certainly turn to the pros for that kind of help and have  been
fortunate in being able to have people as great as Sissi Jones from Hohner
replace reeds and windsavers for me at SPahs, and Bill Price do the same at
a GSHFestival.

Just to add for the edification of those interested in a Convention - there
 is usually at least one person willing to help people with their
instruments at  each of these conventions (and a long line of people  waiting)<G>
Our own Smokey sat down to help Bill out with  those who stopped by at last
year's Garden State Convention.

 I can't find my issue of Spah's 'Harmonica happenings' right  now...where
it lists the names and websites of those experts. The only two  guys whose
names jump into my mind at the moment - and they're both on this  list: Mike
Easton from Pa and Dave Payne (ElkRiver) from WVa. There are others  out
there..perhaps they'll respond?  The info might possibly be on Spah's  website
as well. Bob Cohen might possibly be able to help you there..

Elizabeth

Message: 1