[Harp-L] Vmi7

I was reading some jazz bass lines in a Rufus Reid book and he had a
blues progression that started out with 2 bars of the I chord and then
the third bar was a Vmi7, returning to the I7 chord for the fourth
bar.  I have never seen this before.  First, everytime I see a
substitution for the I chord during the first four bars of a blues it
is during the second chord.  Next the V chord is not dominant, it is a
mi7.  Any clues as to why this works and if it is common in jazz
blues?
Thanks,
Michael Rubin
MIchaelrubinharmonica.com