Re: [Harp-L] Re: Bands too expensive?

Most bands are missing the point of live entertainment. People want to get involved. You have to make it a party these days. Tonight, I arrived at the supper club, set my case down and then mingled with the crowd a bit. Then stepped up in the middle of a tune and blew the hell out of it. Then I backed off walked away and slipped back into the crowd.

Sat at the piano bar and got in a conversation with a fellow from Germany and his America girlfriend (born in Paris). Then to a table with a guy from Germany and his girl friend from France. Then a visiting drummer and his wife invited me to dance, so I danced for about 20 seconds with the wife. (Didn't want to be pushy).

Talked with the woman who is part owner, went back to the mike and backed the girl singer on Bluesette while she sang it in French. Then did 1 Note Samba on chromo, Georgia on diatonic. Then got into a guess how old I am conversation with 2 women at the bar and their dates. Talked about yachts with one of the male dates.

During the breaks, the band mixes with the crowd and as they leave, we thank them for coming. Say little things like: "Was it something I said?" laugh a bit, and as a general rule make their night out something they can remember, talk about, or enjoy in some small way. They seem happy and often come back. How many of you have gone to a play and were able to meet the performers afterwards as they stood at the exit?. I picked up on that at the Palm Springs Follies.

We treat the regulars like family, and the visitors like old friends. The establishment is appreciative of this. It's a 2 way street. Some bands get up there, punch out their tunes..almost in a state of boredom and then wonder why they loose the crowd.

smo-joe