Re: [Harp-L] The Wonderful Internet

Hi Robert,

Well it sounds like your class mate enjoyed the Buddy Greene video very much, just like many of us diatonic harmonica players did.  The video has been around for at least a couple of years now, and I watched it many times, because I enjoyed it very much.

I bought several of Buddy Greene's CD's after watching it.  He's a fantastic diatonic harp player of blue grass, blues, country, and religious/gospel music, plays guitar, sings, composes... all extremely well.

I love his versions of "Walkin' Blues", "The Little Beggar Man", and "All My Loving" from his "Rufus" CD.  I also really  like his version of "Little Rabbit" from his "Happy Man" CD.

In emailing Buddy Greene after I first saw that video, I asked him if he was using a regular Richter tuned harmonica, or an alternate tuning (like Country tuned, Melody Maker, Paddy Richter, etc).  He replied back, no, that it was a regular diatonic harp, and commented that "it was just a parlor trick".

He obviously was playing to an audience that was expected to enjoy his music.  I've seen the announcer on some of Buddy's other videos, so he was no stranger to Buddy's music and harp playing.

Ever hear the Christmas song "Mary Did You Know" ?   Buddy wrote the music, and Mark Lowry wrote the lyrics.  It is one of my favorite Christmas songs.

If I watch and listen to anything more than once in a row, then I know I really like.  If I stop part way through, then I know I don't like it.  If I get all the way thru it and do not watch it again, I may like, or may not (maybe I hung on until the end to see if it would get better).

I look forward to new CD's from Buddy Greene... I'm a big fan, and glad I am !

Ken H in OH

PS.  Robert... I would love to hear your version of "Mary Did You Know ?" on your next Christmas album... I enjoy all your albums !