[Harp-L] RE: Bands too expensive‏

I've tried to look at this debate from all angles, as it is a frequent topic of discussion among musicians in my town (and probably in most others).  Around here, the only bands that make any money are bands that cover popular music.  Bands that do originals, or bands that cover music on the margins (like my own band and every blues band in this area), struggle to even find places to play, much less to make any money.  I've only been able to conclude that for the most part, this has to do with the meaning of music to the General Public.  We, as musicians, experience music on a different level than most people -- it is more passionate and meaningful to us, and resonates deeper.  For most, however, music is simply a diversion.  Most have difficulty noting different levels of talent in musicians, so the merely competent bands are pretty much interchangeable with the accomplished bands.  To this fact add that the majority of people go out not specifically to listen to music or see a band but rather to be out and socialize, marginalizing the role of the band even further.

What does all of this mean?  Well, in my town, it means that there is a very small "live music" audience (those who go out specifically to see live performance).  And because it is of secondary importance (at most) to the people who attend bars and clubs, hiring good bands is secondary to bar and club owners.  Thus only a small investment is made in most cases, and then only to proven draws.

The upside is that if you can get a following around here playing blues, your fans are generally diehard.

Scott