Re: [Harp-L] Hooking up an amp to a Mac

I'm guessing you want to use the line out on the amp. You need an interface. One of the cheapest is an Icicle. Instead of the line in, it uses a USB port. You need some other gear though. A high impedence to low impedence transformer or DI box and a low impedence cable. The Icicle comes bundled with Audacity; a recording software.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Zvi Aranoff" <zviaranoff@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2010 9:58 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Hooking up an amp to a Mac

Hi

How does one connect an amp - in my case a VOX DA5 - to a MacBookPro, so that the recording input into the MBP would be via the amp and not the MBP's internal mic?

Once connected, how does one record from that? (currently I record directly from the internal mic using QuickTime player.)

I connected the amp to the input jack on the MBP and in System Preferences changed Input to "Line in" - and... nada. No sound is detected.

I'm not looking for any high quality recordings, just a way to record myself amplified and hear how I sound.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Zvi Aranoff