[Harp-L] The Wonderful Internet

Usually I avoid threads like this. However.....

I'm familiar with the clip. It's a YouTube sensation, with millions of views. I think he does a great job. Given 4 minutes only to win over a Carnegie Hall audience, few players anywhere could have done better.

The pieces are challenging (for a 10 hole diatonic), his tone is great, his execution accurate.

So what does Robert Bonfiglio, an acclaimed classical player, mean by "... he plays a little Bach on a diatonic. The playing is horrible, but the crowd loves it ..."

From purely a classical viewpoint, Robert has a point. The third piece Buddy plays starts with the opening bars of the Allegro from the Mozart Piano sonata in C K 545. Listen to Sviatoslav Richter play the same piece, at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqrSULskGoo

You'll notice that Buddy plays just the start of the movement. His articulation, execution and just about everything else pale next to the real thing. Buddy gets the notes right, but, for a classical performance, that's just the start. At the recent Asia Pacific Harmonica Festival I judged a number of Mozart pieces, played on chromatic, all more convincing than Buddy Green.at Carnegie Hall.

However, he's playing the pieces on a 10 hole diatonic. From a seasoned classical players's viewpoint, the performance lacks much. From a 10 hole player's perspective, it's great. He nails the low octave scales in the Mozart piece, better than just about anyone else would.

The real question is (and always is) - does it work as a performance? The crowd thought so. Millions of YouTube viewers likewise. And I do too.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays