[Harp-L] The principles of backing

Gary says: Chords provide the best backing.

Of course, there's no right or wrong to this , but I don't necessarily agree. If you try to play chords, you have all the limitations discussed in Gary's post and that assumes that you are playing material with a I-IV-V progression in first or second position. But what if the tune is not I-IV-V and/or what if you are not using first or second position? The options for playing chords become even more restricted, and actually you can't fit in on a lot of material that's otherwise playable on diatonic harmonica if you start trying to play chords.

Arpeggios (which I've been meaning to sit down an learn) are one option, Other short repeating riffs (with variations) also can work.

It's really true that what you DON'T play is as important or more important than what you do play. i've been actively working on playing with more economy--you know, the less is more approach. Anyway, one thing I've been doing regularly is laying out on the turn around on certain tunes (the V change). The usual approach is to sort of crescendo on the turn around, but a lot of times laying out and letting the other instruments flow creates tension/anticipation and makes the harp all that much more welcome and effective when it comes back in. Also, the other musicians often do some really interesting things on the turn around if i shut up and stay out of their way. But, YMMV. Just an idea, FWIW.

JP