Re: [Harp-L] Harp Tech With Richard Sleigh

On Oct 13, 2010, at 7:38 AM, Elizabeth Hess wrote:

I am just back from spending a weekend with Richard Sleigh in his shop, studying harp technology.

Doesn't get any better than that.

It was a fantastic experience: Books are good, but there is nothing quite like face-to-face interaction to learn something efficiently and well.

Especially if the teacher is a patient as Ricardo.

I learned how to shape, gap, and set reeds, including “another trick to try” (and another and another) when initial attempts left me unsatisfied.

But, that's the way you're SUPPOSED to do it. Reverse engineering (so to speak), Work on a part until it fails, and then go backwards in your mind. Something I like to call: "Beat it till it bleeds, and then beat it for bleeding".

I worked on tuning and replacing reeds, with Richard actively encouraging me to make every possible mistake in the shortest amount of time so as to compress the learning. “You have to accordion at least one reed, “ he said. (And I did. )

What is his meaning for 'accordioning a reed'? Since I have worked on them, I would be Veeeeery interested.

I learned how to install a wind saver, and now have two Smokey-Joe- tuned harps (Hi, Joe!)

Ooooh, I hadn't read this far....Hi fellow Floridian.

and the knowledge to convert my other country-tuned harps to SJ- tuning.

Richard refurbished my chromatic harp while teaching me about its workings, and now my chromatic harp is better than new.

I had a feeling that Toots model was a good candidate for super charging.

He taught me a fiddle tune and included me in the circle of his family and friends at a party on Saturday night, even inviting me to play.

Studying with Richard is like learning how to fish – in a good fishing hole. I would recommend it for anyone.

Little secret. On my first spah getaway, Richard was the FIRST person I met. Liked him immediately. cool, unassuming, laid back, and warm.

smo-joe