[Harp-L] Sociology of the Harmonica?

I have to say that I don't get this "Status of the Instrument" stuff nor the
perceived importance of the relative quality of various competent performers
if it comes to that.
When Robert Bonfiglio commented on the performance of a player in Carnegie
Hall, I thought he had a point and was surprised to see him being
'semi-flamed' for it.
I thought I had better look up the clip for myself and when I eventually
found it was highly impressed and entertained by this guy called Buddy
Greene. My conclusion was that I would be pleased to have CDs of either or
both Robert and Buddy and that I probably will eventually acquire them.
I was reared to have a respect for and appreciation of Irish Traditional
music. Box players like Joe Cooley, Sonny Brogan and George Ross were the
accordeon heroes of the day. Paddy O'Brien, Joe Burke and the Boston genius
Joe Derrane were just appearing on the horizon. Funnily enough having heard
all of these 'greats' one of my abiding trad accordeon memories is still of
going in to one of Dublin's leading instrument stores Walton's about thirty
odd years ago. While I was looking around a guy in overalls - obviously
straight from a construction site - came in looking to buy a second hand two
row box. His hands like the proverbial 'shovels' were cracked and well worn
presumably from years of humping around concrete blocks. You would not have
given great odds on his fingers being able to hit the right buttons at the
appropriate time. When he picked up a box to try it out however, it was
obvious within three bars that he had been there before. He may not have
been a star, but he was familiar and easy with the two row box and a
competent performer. He could have sat into any session without
embarrassment  to himself or to listeners. I did not make his acquaintance
or find out his name, but I have learned over the years that it can be a
pleasure to listen to 'journeyman' musicians of reasonable competence. We
can't  all be Larry Adlers or Tommy Reillys, but that should not discourage
us from "giving it the lash" from time to time.
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana