Re: [Harp-L] question?

On Oct 16, 2010, at 4:11 PM, gnarlyheman@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

So harmonica players would get more respect if they read music?

No, not necessarily but in THIS particular case it may have been true. Inasmuch as the more 'studied' musicians have given me the vibe (s) that they feel that since they have paid their dues (so to speak) with years and years of study. Sort of like how people who went to college for a particular subject feel that they are either more qualified or whatever because of their dedication.

This is why the military tends to take college grads and send them to officers candidate school while a high school grads (like myself..only scant college) get to be grunts no matter WHAT their talent. Example: I was snorkeling at Trieste Italy in 1952 (age 10), scuba diving with the sea scouts in Naples (age 13), had SCADS of diving experience but when I went into the Seebees, I was an enlisted man. My immediate dive officer had a degree in history from a teacher's college. My life was on the line held by a Shemp.

Then spend $50 on a portable keyboard.

I have one. Mine is slightly better.

Your key of C harmonica plays the white keys--and those notes are all in order on the staff! From low to high . . .
Play them on one, then the other--so you will hear what you cannot see on harmonica (but can on a keyboard).

I learned a different way. I learned to read by WRITING. Since I was always changing the keys from my Bb trumpet music (written in consideration of 2 flats), to C. Then I started re-writing that music in other keys. I used a 'cheat sheet'' to transpose..at the beginning. I eventually picked it up. I STILL don't read well as I play most everything I do in draw keys (D, F, Eb). So I switch harmonicas a it.

When you change harmonicas, the location of the notes on the lines and spaces changes, but not the relationship.