Re: [Harp-L] Re: 5F6A Bassman mods for harmonica from Mark and Jim

Hi Tom,

A very high input impedance is desirable for pretty well any kind of mic, except
Shure's 520DX which has an increased tendency to feedback with loads over 1 meg.
The reason has more to do with the dynamics of the harp signal as compared to
guitar (any input load over 500K is technically "matched"), the very high load
increases sensitivity and dynamics. This isn't so much of a problem for plucked
string instuments like guitar, which have a very large initial signal followed
by long decay (very hi loads can even make guitar sound hard/brittle at initial
plucking of the string)...harp has no decay, all the note you hear is a blown
note, with much less front to it (comparitively).

The high input loads can also help reduce signal loss when using devices in-line
between harp & mic, though obviously anything lost between mic and first device
in the chain is most critical. Any delay/effect pedal should be tested to see
how it affects signal loss, Ron Holmes & John Kinder have both offered mods to
correct definciencies here, as will a well built Jayphat, which should be the
first device after the mic.

Any volume control on the mic will be in parallel with the amp's input load
resistor (if plugged straight in), so this must be considered too. So a 5 meg
pot into a 1 meg amp input is the same as a 1meg pot into a 5meg amp input
(833K, bridging channels also has an effect in this respect), 5Meg pot into a
5meg load will give 2.5meg, which is adequate.

I wouldn't go over 10meg for the input resistor in a typical cathode biased
Fender style input (late 50's onwards).

Regards, Mark.