Re: [Harp-L] Line Out question (one more)

Hi Andi,

Speaker driven line outs are typically lo impedance, expecting to see a hi
impedance unbalanced input, I'm guessing nearly every sound man would have done
what your guy did. The problem may be that, in recent years,  many PAs have done
away with hi impedance jack inputs & replaced them with lo impedance TRS jacks.

In many cases what he did will work fine, it is well proven technology. As in
your case, it didn't, then, yes a DI box may have cured the issue. It's best to
have one on hand.

Is the "line out" on the solid state amp a real "line out", or a "preamp out"? A
speaker driven "line out" usually generates around a volt of AC (lo voltage, lo
impedance), a "preamp out" is designed to drive an output section/power amp and
can be high voltage, hi impedance...which might explain the difference you are
hearing?

If you have doubts and you have a AC RMS voltmeter, you could play through the
amp, connect the line out to the voltmeter, via a guitar cord, & read the
voltage developed...as I said, I would expect to see around a volt AC RMS (or
maybe 3VAC peak to peak) average.

Micing with an SM57 is also a well proven alternative.

Regards, Mark.