Re: [Harp-L] Replaceable Reeds

On Oct 22, 2010, at 2:01 AM, Rick Dempster wrote:

I use a brass 10BA cheeshead bolt Joe. (That was thanks to advice from
fellow Ozlander Lawrie Minson)  I've replaced heaps of reeds, and I've
only stripped the thread  (in the plate) once or twice.

Right, if you have a torque wrench already built into your touch, it works. But some people are heavy fisted and over tighten things.

I have a supply of nuts I bought years ago, but never use them, except
in the aforementioned couple of cases.
The 10BA is a pretty fine thread, so I reckon that's why I probably get
enough turns.

Right. if a plate is 1 mm thick, that's 1/25.4 of an inch. That equates to 3 turns for a 76 tpi screw. Most engineers like at least 3 threads to be IN contact with a part.

This grade of bolt is getting a bit hard to find these days, though,
and the only other problem I've had is that they are thicker than the
rivet, so I have to open the hole in the reed a little.

Right, some use a fine file but I use a cruciform sewing needle. (That's one with a point that has 3 edges. The edges act as reamers). AND you can work to one side of the rivet hole if the hole doesn't match the reed plate hole.

If this goes off centre at all, it makes the reed hard to centre.

Right, see above

I've thought of going to 8BA or something else smaller, but it seems
with approaching old age and accompanying deterioration of eye-bones,
what I really need is a half inch Whitworth.

Ah-ha ha ha, I have a couple 1" SS bridge girder bolts I can send you. Or maybe a railroad spike. Are you standard guage or narrow guage.

RD

joe leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx> 22/10/2010 16:35 >>>