[Harp-L] RE: Harp v. Guitar

I play both.  I have played guitar all of my life.  Took up harp a few years
ago.  It is very easy to play harp badly.  Probably easier than guitar.  One
website says that most harp players have fifty percent of the skills they
will ever have within a few weeks of picking up the instrument.  Maybe
that's true for most.  But, playing harp well is a lifetime pursuit ... as
is any other instrument.  It very much depends upon what level of skill you
aspire to.  For example, playing harp well enough to competently play the
horn lead(s) on jazz and standards will probably take years.  Comparing the
harp and guitar is an apples and oranges comparison.  Different set of
skills. Same music theory but radically different execution.

Bill Kumpe

Tulsa, OK