Re: [Harp-L] Turbo Slide Harmonica

Yes, it does does depend on the type of alloy.

Chromium is the principal alloying element in SS.  Other alloying elements include carbon, nickel, manganese, silicon, sulphur, molybdenum, and aluminum.

The "2xx" and "3xx" types of stainless steel also nickel, have an "Austenitic" structure, cannot be hardened by heat treating, and are not magnetic.

The "4xx" grades contain little or no nickel, have a "ferritic" or "martensitic" structure, most can be hardened by heat treating, and are magnetic.

The fact that the Seydel reeds are magnetic indicates that they are of the 4xx series alloys.  Type 416 has better machinability than other 4xx steels and is my wild guess for the material of SS reeds.

Vern