[Harp-L] Magnetic properties of stainless steels

As a retired mechanical engineer, I guess I should be up to speed on the
chemistry and metallurgy of the various stainless steels, but I am not.
I am glad to say that (as usual) some of the cognoscenti on this list have
already been able to fill in some of the gaps in my education.
I remember the time - about fifty years ago - when stainless steel kitchen
sinks were the latest "must have" It was quickly discovered that there was
"stainless steel and stainless steel". Some of the allegedly stainless sinks
could develop rust marks. In those days the test recommended for would be
purchasers was to apply a magnet to the sink. If the magnet stuck to the
steel it was thumbs down.
I never thought of applying this test to the reeds of my Seydel 1847. I
might get around to it if I ever have occasion to take the cover plates off.
Beannachtaí
Aongus Mac Cana