Re: [Harp-L] Impedance advice needed

"hazcon" wrote:
<I don't have a regular band these days and only do the occasional 'sit in'
<or jam session,hence I usually just plug my *astatic into the PA.Trouble is
<these days some PA's don't have any imputs for the standard quarter inch
<jack plug.Can I just  buy an impedance converter that (for example) has a
<jack at one end and an XLR at the other and I'll be set to go?

I don't much like the sound of a bullet mic into a PA, but if you do that's fine. One way to solve your problem is to spend $35 for an ART Tube MP preamp.  That'll give you a 1/4" input and a balanced XLR output, which you can take to the PA. You can also use the gain control to add a little tube grind to your tone through the PA.

The Tube MP requires AC power--if that's a problem, then you might need to consider something like a direct box powered by battery instead.  I have a Hosa DIB-307 battery powered active direct box, one 1/4" hi-z input, 1/4" and XLR outputs. That would do the job too, and it's roughly the same price.  No tube grind in the sound though, 'cause there's no tube.

There are plenty of other devices that will work in this situation, and I'm sure you can solve the problem for under $40.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick