From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, 29 October, 2010 21:40:49
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] getting high gain... no feedback

Michael Easton wrote:
..."I tried something different with the Deluxe Reverb last night.  I
don't know if it will work for the rest of you because of the polar
pattern of your mics. Maybe with Bill's 545 and Daine's  Sennheiser.
I used the Heumann volume pot on my SM57 and a line transformer on the
xlr cable.  I plugged into the 2nd input on the reverb channel and
cranked the volume to 6. This drives the amp output to play hotter.
The 2nd input has a lower gain, so while the amp was outputting hot
the input was lowered so as not to force the signal through the amp.

In other words I let the amp output control the volume rather then
the strong mic input which could pick up the sound from the amp and
cause feedback.
If you deal with the situation I use to have, hot mics causing you to
keep your amp around 2 or 3, it might work better if you plug into the
lower gain input on your amp, crank it up to around 5 or 6 and control
everything from the mic volume pot if you have one.  I'm not sure how
well this technique would work with wide pattern mics  but at least it
works for narrow pattern wand mics."

Michael, I'm a little confused. Does this amp have a Master volume control, or
is the overall volume set by the channel volume control?  If the latter, I take
it you turned the CHANNEL volume control to 6?  If the former, what were the
channel and master volume controls set to?

Thanks, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick