[Harp-L] Re: getting higher gain

Hi Richard,
There is only one volume control per channel. No secondary. I set that to 6.

I got the idea from a former guitarist band mate and from a current guitarist I play with. Fenders usually have 2 channels and 2 inputs for each channel.
Both guitarists use the 2nd input whether they play the dry or wet channel. They crank the amp to 10 to create more tone then control the volume from the guitar pot. They aren't loud players. They found this method allows them to produce great tone at lower volumes because they are driving the output stage hotter by reducing the input stage.

So if you own a hot harp mic the way to get more use from your amp is to add a volume pot like Greg Heumann's in the signal path, plug into the 2nd input, crank the amp and control all your volume from the pot on the mic. Like someone else mentioned it won't work as well with weak mics or mics that pick up a wide pattern but it works great with Lo Z, hot vintage elements and dynamics like EV's.

It's important to use the 2nd input per channel if your amp allows for it. Most Gibsons and Fenders have 2 inputs per channel. The 1st input produces too high a signal in the preamp stage.

Bill Hines heard the set up last night from the audience. Maybe he can give some input on the difference he heard from previous times. He played the first set on the same amp using the 1st input in the reverb channel on the Deluxe Reverb and a Green Bullet mic with vol. pot. The amp volume was set around 2 1/2. I plugged in using the setting I described earlier.