Re: [Harp-L] getting high gain... no feedback

Yep, that's the secret:  Turn down your microphone!  A hot mic can send more
than a volt of power to the amp on loud passages.  That is so much power
that the amp does not even need its first gain stage... the signal could
drive the second stage!

That big a signal overwhelms your input tube, beating it into square waves.
What you hear is your input tube fighting for its life.

Turn your mic down, exactly as Michael suggests.  Your tone will be more
musical and your feedback demons will retreat.

Custom harp amps such as the Mission Chicago and other fine amps are
designed to handle the hot signal and there is no need to necessarily
attenuate your mic.  But with most guitar amps it is a must.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog