Re: [Harp-L] Amp Head question

I think that there are LOTS of benefits in using a separate amplifier top
for harmonica, with one or two speaker cabs.

In the  first instance, it's easier to move a 30 lb cab, and then  carry a
30 lb amp top, rather than having to struggle with a 60 lb "combo".

But for 30 years, I used one 2 x 12 cab IN FRONT of me on my side of the
stage, with another 2 x 12" cab on the other side of the stage... This was
driven by a Vox Supreme top... Advertised as "200 Watt", but probably in
reality  it was about about half that. That was a GREAT harp amp, and it was
"solid state"....

That was in the days BEFORE 3 KW  house PA systems... I had to  "compete"
on my harmonica with guitarists playing through 200 Watt  Marshall or Sound
City Stacks... And those "200 Watt" Marshall amps really WERE  200 watts.

I had a laugh the other day, I bought a new transistor radio, powered by
just 2 x 1.5 volt batteries... It boasted...

300 W incredible sound...

Perhaps a quarter of one Watt would be nearer the truth.

For the past ten years back in England, I used one, or two "daisy chained"
Fender Blues DeLuxe tube amps for my harp... I never managed to get the
volume  control above "3" before the feedback started.

However, these days, most gigs have some sort of sound system that can take
 the sound, or the signal from a small amplifier and put it right up there
"in  the mix"... That is, as long as the harmonicist makes friends with the
"sound  man".

Lately I just play through the pa system... But I SHALL have my own Sonny
Jr amp one day!

Best wishes,

John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City