[Harp-L] Re: getting high gain... no feedbackt

Bluzeharp writes:

I've found the master volume control on a Blues Jr. to be VERY useful in lower volume situations. I roll the master down to around 2 1/2, the secondary volume up to around 7 or 8 and then control the level with an inline VC at my mic. This lets me get a nice crunchy low volume 'Chicago' sound when playing duo gigs in small rooms. With the master set past three I don't get good harmonica tone at low volume, but once the volume need rises then the master level can be set higher with good results.

Fair enough. I used to have a Blues Jr. which i sold in order to buy a Princeton Reverb RI when they came out (no regrets, btw). So, i have experience w/ both amps.

I can get great harmonica tone (and nice DEPTH of tone) at ANY volume with my PRRI by setting the amp's volume at 6 or 7 and then controlling the overall volume with the VC on my 545 Ultimate. IMHO, the extra volume control/gain stage on the BJ doesn't add anything beneficial and just makes the dialing in process that much more complicated. My BJ was a higher gain amp than my PRRI is and so was more feedback prone anyway. But, YMMV.

FWIW,

JP