From: "BluzeHarp@xxxxxxx" <BluzeHarp@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, 30 October, 2010 21:59:50
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: getting high gain... no feedback

In a message dated 10/30/2010 10:05:00 A.M. Mountain Daylight  Time, John F
Potts writes:Personally, I don't like using an amp with a  master vc for
harp.  Conceptually, a master vc seems like a good  idea, but in
practice, I don't think it's well suited to optimizing an  amp's sound
for harp.  But. YMMV.

This departs from the feedback aspect of the thread, but I've  found the
master volume control on a Blues Jr. to be VERY useful in lower  volume
situations.  I roll the master down to around 2 1/2, the secondary  volume up to

around 7 or 8 and then control the level with an inline  VC at my mic.  This
lets me get a nice crunchy low volume 'Chicago'  sound when playing duo gigs
in small rooms.  With the master  set past three I don't get good harmonica
tone at low volume,  but once the volume need rises then the master level
can be set  higher with good results.  Settings will of course vary with
other  master volume amps but the concept might still prove to  be useful.  I
much prefer my old Silvertone for quieter gigs  but it's out of commission,
again... that's why the workhorse BJ lives on  the floor of my back seat.
BTW, a Blues Jr. benefits greatly  from a speaker swap, a vintage 1950's or
60's Jensen P12R seems to be the  ticket.

Christopher Richards  -  Twin Tone Harmonica  Microphones
_www.harmonicaplanet.com_ (http://www.harmonicaplanet.com