From: Doug H <dough.harpl@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Zombor Kovacs <zrkovacs@xxxxxxxxx>; Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, October 31, 2010 1:07:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Reed slot needs to be shortened

I agree that in a typical situation it would make  more sense to change the reed
rather than the slot, but this is not a typical  situation.

These reed plates are for a prototype that I am  building of an experimental
harmonica.  It has a full set of blow reeds and  of draw reeds over 3 octaves,
installed on four reed plates.  It's sort of  a hybrid between a chromatic and a
Harmonetta.  (I will have a website up to speed in a few weeks to explain what I
am doing.)

The slots are sized to take the reeds of the  correct pitch from the CX-12.  I
decided to use CX-12 reeds because they  are easily available and come in
various keys, and I will be using screws to  attach them.  A major reason why I
want to  have the slots fixed is so that later, as I experiment, I can easily
swap out  the reeds for a set in a different key, or if someone else has the
thing they  could make the swap without having to deal with the one odd-ball
reed.

It is only 1 slot that I have to fix per harmonica,  and I only have eight sets
of plates in this first batch.  By the time  I've fixed eight slots I'll just be
getting the hang of it and wish there were  more!  ;-)

Doug H