Re: [Harp-L] Reinventing the harmonica... again

Of course I want to tell you how it works, or else I would not be here: it's
only that I am not eloquent, for talking is hard for me, and I am slow of
tongue. Pardon me.

I had this idea after I've read Pat Missin's review on the Suzuki Overdrive,
where he noticed that the pitch changes when you change the size of discrete
chambers. So the best way you can figure out what I'm saying is probably by
imagining this balloon inflating inside the discrete chambers of the
Overdrive harmonica. The chambers would have to be a little bigger for this
to work, but the working principle would remain the same: when you inflate
the balloon, the space filled with air inside the discrete chamber decreases
and the pitch you hear increases.

Also, if the balloon inflates too much, it will occupy all the space inside
the chamber and the reed will not vibrate. Therefore, a overbend will
happen, analogously to how it happens on the Bahnson harp.

However, if you inflate the balloon belonging to the draw reed while you
play the blow reed, you'll get valved bends and overbends on the reed you're
playing, even if it's the lowest pitched reed on the hole, analogously to
how it happens on Yerxa's Discrete Comb.

I can't think of any adjectives for the end results of this invention but
"extraordinary". We've basically solved the two most annoying technical
issues of the harmonica: namely, "overbends are too hard and I won't leave
my tuning" and "I've got too many harps because I don't want to stick to one
tuning". However, I fear it's so obvious that it had already occurred to
other people who noticed some detail which ruined the whole idea. I'd love
to hear something from Yerxa or Brendan, I'm almost sure they've already
tried something of this kind.