Re: [Harp-L] Reinventing the harmonica... again

When I said "chamber size decreases and hence increases the pitch" I meant
"the space filled with air inside the chamber decreases because some object
is now taking the room once filled by it, and hence increases the pitch".
The size of the exit hole remains constant, and the harp varies the pitch
through means other than exit hole size variation. When I said "The chambers
would have to be a little bigger for this to work" I meant you just have to
build them a little ( vertically ) larger.

 I chose the balloon idea because it seemed easier for me to conceive and
explain, your piston idea sounds way better.

As you don't change the space between your mouth and the reeds ( like they
did on the XB-40, which is the reason why Levy is not into it ), the
instrument does not get less responsive or expressive. The piston has the
same speed as a chromatic harmonica slide or even more than that, so I guess
speed is not an issue.