RE: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2010 Comb Test: Retraction & Apology

> From: chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 21:15:46 +0000
>
> I don' think you have a pianist or violinist having a materials debate, I wonder why?
>
> Best,
> Rob Paparozzi

However brass and woodwind player do debate whether or not materials make a

difference, for example:

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/jom/0708/roncone-0708.html

The difference is that instruments like pianos, violins and guitars use a soundboard

to amplify their sound, and the materials that the soundboard is made of has a huge

effect on their tone.  Whilst the body of brass and woodwind instruments is just there to

contain a vibrating column of air.

In a harmonica the comb chanels air, so it's much more like the body of a brass instrument

than that of a violin or piano.

Regards

Patrick