Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2010 Comb Test: a thought experiment (long)

On Sep 2, 2010, at 10:34 PM, Michelle LeFree wrote:

joe leone writes:

<huge clippage>
What I was trying to say here was that while the sound may SOUND the same to listeners, the FEEL of the sound may FEEL different to the player. It could be the vibrations?

<Even more clippage>

Now whether these differences in the sounds emitted by a harp with a more reflecting comb material and one with less reflecting material are detectable by the human ear or not I don't know (I personally ~think~ that they are). But my gut tells me that spectral analysis of the recorded sounds from those different combs will show some kind of differences. I'm looking forward to learning when the results of the analysis of those spectra will become available, and what kind(s) of analyses were applied.

At least that's the way I see it. I'm sure Vern (and probably others) will "feel" differently. ;-)

Michelle

WOW, you said things that I couldn't express because, like the proverbial scarecrow, I don't have that much brain. I'm TRULY impressed.
I have always felt that a bank vault/missle silo voice printer would be the definitive analyzer.

intertesting? story. One night I was trying to get to sleep but heard a faint rustling? noise. I searched around the house but couldn't find it. What I DID find was my cat Elmo. She never leaves the floor level but this time she was stretched out to full body length on top of my chest of drawers and pawing/scratching a spot on the wall about 6 ft. up. I put my ear to the wall and heard a faint flutter. I pierced a hole in the wall and a few wasps scrambled out. Conclusion? Some people have good ears. Some don't.

Joey LeOne