[Harp-L] on the road to Sonnydale

For several years now I've had the chance to play the various incarnations of the Sonny Jr. amp.

First the 4-8 then the 4-10 model. After that the first generation Cruncher.

A few of those times I was fortunate enough that someone was recording the gig so I could later hear
the raw tone projecting from those amps. It's amazing how they pick up every nuance in your technique.

While I loved my vintage 65 Deluxe Reverb for playing Butterfield style it wasn't until I tried Bill Hines'
Cruncher that I realized you CAN dial in more then one sound with an amp. I didn't have to choose
one technique over another because of the amp I was playing at the time. I love playing both the dirty
50's electric harp style and the clean horn like Butterfield sound. I fitted the styles to the songs we play and eventually
found my own sound in the process.

I contacted Sonny about ordering a Cruncher when they first came out. Unfortunately, around that time the needs of the family man trumped the wants of the
musician so that dream had to be put on the back burner. Jumping ahead 2+ years the Avenger became available. The timing looked good so I contacted
Sonny again and discussed meeting at the Garden St. Harp Fest in Nov. to try out and perhaps buy an Avenger on the spot. I thought I would raise the cash by then.

Again, fate reared its ugly head, and as some of you know all the senior techs including myself got laid off this past Monday after 24 years of loyal service. I contacted Sonny and told him I wouldn't be able to buy the Avenger let alone attend the Festival this year. Family guy took over again.

As this week wore on the musician and family man inside me fought to find a compromise. I couldn't pull the money out of savings not knowing if I'll need it when the UC runs out.

The solution was to dump the Deluxe Reverb and other gear that's been sitting around. I had some money coming in from recent harp repairs to cover the difference if needed. I didn't go near our savings.

Around 9am yesterday morning I placed my first ad on Craigslist. By 9:30am I had a local buyer. I made arrangements to meet and drove 40 miles to his house to deliver the amp and collect the cash.

Btw, I should mention I discussed this with my wife first and she had no problem with buying a new amp. She knew the sacrifices I've made the past 3 years and felt I deserved it.

So around 5:30pm I contacted Sonny and placed the order for a new Cruncher. It isn't the Avenger I was hoping for but it was part of the compromise I made. The check went in the mail shortly after.

We play a big outdoor festival on the 19th. I can't wait to open it up.:)

Sonny Rules. Bosses Suck.

Michael Easton www.harmonicarepair.com