[Harp-L] In praise of Jeff Newsom

Jeff Newsom is a fine harmonica player based in Driggs, Idaho.  I met Jeff in August 2001 at the Grand Targhee Bluegrass Festival, where he offered (with no prompting from me) to introduce me to Tony Furtado, with whose band Jeff and I ended up jamming to close out the Festival.  That little story tells you a lot about what a generous and good-hearted guy Jeff is.

It doesn't tell you much about Jeff's music, which is on a par with his spirit.  He's been the go-to harmonica player in Idaho and Wyoming for years.  But about a year ago, Jeff was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease, and he hasn't performed for a while.

Fortunately for everyone who likes great music and great harmonica playing, Jeff's sometime collaborator and well-known producer Ben Winship has released a CD containing a fine collection of Jeff's performances over the years, including Jeff's singing as well as his harmonica playing.  The CD includes a wide range of roots-oriented music, ranging from covers of The Band's "The Weight" and Little walter's "Dead Presidents" to "Fishin' in the Dark," with accompaniment from the best players in the region.  The CD can be purchased at http://store.benwinship.com/, and all proceeds from sales go to Jeff.  I recommend it to all harmonica players and fans.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick