[Harp-L] Re: SPAH convention

I've never been to SPAH but the sales info I've read makes it sound like a huge convention that would be intimidating the new, casual player.
I think Jon Gindick is on the right track with his Jam Camps. Jon is getting people who have never played before to spend a grand to come to his camps. I think he's successful partly  because of how he describes the experience:
"A Limited Enrollment 5 Day Jamming and Learning Vacation...with a Focus on You"
"the Fundamentals of Blues and the Joys of Jamming"
"We love all levels of harmonica players. Raw Beginners: we have a strong program for you.. Including preseminar phone lesson. Advanced and intermediates: no worries, we offer separate classes on separate levels."
"Let Jon Gindick and some of the world's most talented player/ coaches help you go there and beyond."
I realize Jon's program has a narrower focus than SPAH but I think he's on to something. Jon's all about enjoying playing TODAY, even if it's the first time you've picked up a harp. People want immediate gratification and Jon delivers that combined with a long-term focus. When I hear about things like comb tests, it makes me think of high school science class, which doesn't conjure up memories of "fun." ;-)
I haven't been to Jon's Jam Camp yet but I'm saving my money. For me, the description of SPAH just isn't the same.
Tim