Re: [Harp-L] Re: SPAH convention and Jon Gindick's Jamp Camp

Jon's camp is about one thing - teaching and learning from beginner to roughly intermediate level. And Jon does that very, very well. I've taught there a couple of times and enjoyed the experience immensely - Jon really delivers the goods.

The SPAH Convention, on the other hand, is whatever you want to make of it - it's a huge, rich bazaar of *everything* related to the harmonica.

If comb tests sound like a dull subject, don't bother with that. You've got tons of other choices during that same time period. You could:

- Go to a different seminar scheduled at the same time.

- Visit the vendors and see the cool new harps and talk directly to the manufacturer, or try out an amp or microphone

- Participate (or just hang out and absorb) in a hallway jam for blues, or bluegrass, or jazz or just playing melody on the oldies.

- Get a one-on-one lesson at the teach-in, or informally from someone who you happen to meet.

Additionally, each night there are concerts, often involving the best in the world on a particular type of instrument and/or in a particular style. And those same stellar players are there during the day, hanging out and jamming, and are approachable if you want to ask them a question.

Admittedly, this could be overwhelming. But it's an amazingly rich set of possibilities, and the choices among them are entirely yours.

If Jon's Jam Camp appeals to you, do it; you won't be sorry. Once you've gotten your sea legs a bit, you may feel more ready for the amazing variety that the SPAH convention has to offer.

By the way, I should point out that SPAH is not just an event. It's a club that you join, with a quarterly magazine, and it's yet one more way of connecting with other harmonica players worldwide.

Winslow Yerxa
Entertainment Director, SPAH
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com