[Harp-L] Apples & Oranges...SPAH vs Jam Camps

Jon Gindick is a great guy with a mountain of talent and passion for people
and the harmonica. He too is part of the "preservation and advancing" of our
beloved instrument. Comparing a small house party to a Global Open House is
just silly. They are two very different things. The purpose and agendas are
very different.

My obervation over these last few years has been that there are fewer and
fewer jam camps. Multiple locations are no more and they are sticking to one
location. This I am sure has no reflection on the quality of the programs
that Jon puts together. This is a reflection of the current economic climate
and perhaps some "X" factors. SPAH on the other hand set record numbers last
year. This year we came close. These are the same times and economy.

My thoughts on this are simple. One event is much more blues focused and
intense with a definite goal of improving ones skills before the event is
over. The other is more of a celebration of harmonica life. People come to
SPAH for much different reasons than they would go to a jam camp. I think
our current numbers reflect the fact that music,celebration and
community are necessary even in tough times. The learning opportunitys are
powerful in both situations. The difference being one is a limited menu sit
down meal and the other is an all you can eat buffet.

Variety IS the spice of life. Lets not start cross breeding our apples and
oranges in the harmonica world.

WB

--
Warren "Bee" Bachman