Re: [Harp-L] Tongue blocking

Much has already been said so I'll only say this about tongue blocking: it's FUN!

After two years of dogged persistence (and several more of casual effort), my tongue blocking is finally coming together. There was painfully little progress for the first year and it was very tempting to just give up -- but I knew it ~could~ be done so I stuck with it. I was well into the 2nd year of my steep learning curve before I began to show consistent progress on "real tongue blocking." I say "real" TBing because I have been able to play octaves and seamlessly switch back and forth between TB and pucker forever. But there are so many other cool techniques you can do with TB'ing and playing octaves/splits is actually one of the easiest. If you aren't impressed with the Walters, take a listen to the venerable Sam Hinton sometime (may he Rest In Peace). You ~will~ be humbled. That's what I call "real" TBing.

These days, things I struggled with for so long to get any sort of success now just seem to be magically "working." Bending with different keys, slaps, pulls, various styles of tremolo, bluesy vibrato, even switching are now coming with relative ease. And it is all a GAS! There are so many more interesting things you can do when you play more than a single note at a time, I'm now having a ball exploring and learning them. And it's added so much more texture and depth to my playing that I find it more enjoyable and so do people who have enough patience to listen to me.

So if you have been working hard with little in the way of results to show for it, stick with it! There is definitely "gold in them thar hills" and it ~is~ accessible by mere mortals. Heck, even an "Harmonica Dummy" like me can do it (now anyway).

Michelle